RE: wallstreet lockup

Subject: RE: wallstreet lockup
From: Heather Donahue (heatherd@sonic.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:43:36 MST

At 2:59 PM -0700 on 12/12/01, Charlie Watts wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Walls, Bryan wrote:
>
>> I mean I did the default Development install, and didn't make any changes to
>> screensavers. A saver kicks in after a few minutes of inactivity, which may
>> be one of several diffent designs. I've never seen a problem if I leave it
>> on 2-3 hours. However, longer than that, especially overnight, it's quite
>> likely that I can't get the system to wake up by hitting the space bar -- or
>> anything else.
>
>Um ... turn off the screen saver? It's a notebook, they aren't helpful,
>and only waste CPU.

I can't agree with that. My Pismo just went in to have it's display replaced because of a pink screen. Luckily it was still under warranty. Apparently it's not uncommon for heavily used laptops to have the backlight (florescent I think) fade, flicker or in my case change color.

I use my iMac for YDL and use the Matrix screensaver.

On the laptop the best screensaver is a plain black screen. That shouldn't use a lot of cycles.

--
Heather Donahue