RE: wallstreet lockup

Subject: RE: wallstreet lockup
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:53:40 MST

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Heather Donahue wrote:
> At 2:59 PM -0700 on 12/12/01, Charlie Watts wrote:
> >On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Walls, Bryan wrote:
> >
> >> I mean I did the default Development install, and didn't make any changes to
> >> screensavers. A saver kicks in after a few minutes of inactivity, which may
> >> be one of several diffent designs. I've never seen a problem if I leave it
> >> on 2-3 hours. However, longer than that, especially overnight, it's quite
> >> likely that I can't get the system to wake up by hitting the space bar -- or
> >> anything else.
> >
> >Um ... turn off the screen saver? It's a notebook, they aren't helpful,
> >and only waste CPU.
>
> I can't agree with that. My Pismo just went in to have it's display
> replaced because of a pink screen. Luckily it was still under
> warranty. Apparently it's not uncommon for heavily used laptops to
> have the backlight (florescent I think) fade, flicker or in my case
> change color.

Sorry, I really should have made some mention of APM-style power saving.
Just displaying black leaves the backlight on, which isn't any better than
just leaving the thing on normal display.

I'm in the hard-earned habit of locking workstations when I get up from
them, and I've just modified my habit on the notebook to turn the
backlight off ...

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net