Re: "Gnome configuration applet libraries"

Subject: Re: "Gnome configuration applet libraries"
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 16:41:38 MST

On Sunday 09 December 2001 05:23, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While trying to build some of the Ximian gnome stuff from source under
> YDL v2.1 I get the following dependancy error while building gtkhtml:
>
> "You need Gnome configuration applet libraries 1.0.0 or later to build
> gtkhtml."
>
> Trouble is it doesn't say what library this is. I thought it was GConf,
> but after compiling and installing GConf v1.0.4 the error remains.
>
> Anyone have any clues?
>
> Regards,
> Graham

I ran in to the same problem. I never was able to get the gnome build
puzzled out. Its a bit arcane, and the naming of things is not exactly
consistent with what I'm used to. I eventually gave up and installed from all
the ximian ppc rpms by hand. This of course broke the YellowDog Installation
and I had to re-install. I wonder if things would be better installing from
the Ximian YellowDog CD.

My problems are probably not the fault of the ximian rpms or the gnome
sources per-se, but I have noticed intractable problems including the one you
are having seem to crop up whenever I've tried installing from the ximian run
time materials or whenever I try building anything in the core of gnome.
From reading the e-mail lists, it would seem we're not alone in having these
particular problems.

Its obvious that there's some order of operations needs to be followed but it
isn't well enough documented for me to find easily. I found some material
but its woefully out of date. Nothing in the search showed up on a gnome or
ximian site that explains how to build the components. There is the
vicious-build-scripts of course, but that takes a bit of cvs work.

KDE has a nice page that tells you exactly how to build all its components by
hand. Gnome needs this. If there's such a thing for gnome, its not anywhere
I've been able to stumble into. It's probably hidden right in plain sight
somewhere though. Until I find it, I've pretty much given up on gnome and am
sticking with kde for most things. Maybe I'll give the
vicious-build-scripts a try someday.

In the meantime, the gnome library support in YDL for gnome works enough for
Xchat and gftp, the two gnome based programs I use regularly and probably
others. I got into trouble this time going after evolution 1.0. I guess
Evolution may just have to wait for the next large meteor or comet to hit my
system, or at least till the holidays are over.

-Pat