Re: ProFTP slow response - further update

Subject: Re: ProFTP slow response - further update
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 02:44:11 MST

>At 8:52 PM +1100 12/12/01, Terry Allen wrote:
>
>>Hi again,
>> In regards to my previous posts on ProFTP responding very
>>slooooowly, I have come up with a half solution, but it's a fudge, so I
>>still need a little help if possible please. Read on...
>> When I installed YDL 2.1 (everything install - default setup -
>>anonymous FTP disabled), I set the IP to a different IP than the current
>>server so I could run it while connected to the Internet.
>> Now I'm configuring the server to replace the current one, I've had
>>to disconnect it from the network.
>> When I reboot the machine, ftp login is very slooooow, until I
>>change the IP address (using Webmin) & then login to ftp is instant. If I
>>change the IP back to the address I will be using (i.e. the current
>>server's IP), it's still instant login response, unless I boot the machine
>>again - when it becomes slow again.
>> The IP address change is the only change I made to the setup, so
>>something seems a bit odd.
>> If anyone can help out here, please get back to me.
>
>I didn't see your earlier messages, but usually slow login problems
>are because proftpd (or any other service) can't do a reverse DNS
>lookup on the IP address of the computer that's logging in.
>--
>Tim Seufert

Hi Tim,
        Thanks for your reply - I don't know how it was fixed, but from a
term window, I simply ran netconfig again & went through the setup of the
static network again, rebooted the machine again & while the first login
was slow, though much quicker than anything I've previously done to try &
fix this, subsequent logins have been instantaneous. thanks for your