Re: proftpd won't start

Subject: Re: proftpd won't start
From: Zeke Runyon (zrunyon@mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 20:00:48 MST

On Thursday, December 13, 2001, at 09:48 PM, Ian Cooper wrote:

> Can you set up a dns server (for your internal network) that can map
> your internal domain names to internal IP addresses? Or you could put
> that information into /etc/hosts and put that on every machine.

How do I do this? Why can't I just type in the LAN IP address of the
machine in another machine on the network to access it? What about my
outside domain name, gloin.dhs.org. What do I do with that? I need a
primer on the /etc/hosts file.

Can I create my own domain name with this DNS stuff? This is where I get
confused. All the DNS server stuff. I read some stuff online, but it was
way over my head. I have a basic, basic, basic network. No servers I can
just plug into the configuration(s).

-z

                            ##
# Zeke Runyon | zrunyon@mac.com | zekeworld.home.dhs.org
# blog: communistsquirrel.home.dhs.org
# Mac OS X 10.1.1 5M28 | OS 9.2.1 | Yellow Dog Linux 2.1
# Communist squirrels shall rule the world.