Re: upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1

Subject: Re: upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1
From: John Schmidt (jas@netbrick.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 06:02:19 MST

On Thursday 13 December 2001 09:12 pm, you wrote:
> What's the best way to do this? I download the iso, but there
> doesn't appear to be an upgrade path using it.
>
> -Jim

Edit your /etc/yup.conf. Mine looks like this:

.master http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/yup/yup.master.txt
.dist-option Yellow Dog Linux release 2.1
.arch-option ppc
.begin mirror-option
  .name iBiblio Mirror
  .country USA
  .addr
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/yellowdog/yellowdog-2.1/
  .name iBiblio Mirror
  .arch ppc SRPMS
.end

Essentially, you replace all instances of yellowdog-2.0 with yellowdog-2.1.
Then, as root, do:
yup list updates.

Currently, doing the above returns:

Updated packages:
Package Name Version
kernel 2.4.10-12a
kernel 2.4.10-12a
kernel 2.4.10-12a
kernel 2.4.10-12a
openssh 3.0.2p1-1a
openssh-askpass 3.0.2p1-1a
openssh-clients 3.0.2p1-1a
openssh-server 3.0.2p1-1a
tetex 1.0.7-8.1a

This will give you a list of updates to the ydl 2.0. I then, at my
convenience, would do:
yup update tetex
yup update openssh
yup <then name of the package>

I am on a dial up modem, and I didn't want to lock up my machine for hours
downloading stuff.

I believe that you can do:

yup update

and it will download all the updates needed to bring your machine up to 2.1.

Many people have problems with yup. Make sure that you have the latest:
yup-0.7.6-6. You may have to upgrade this manually, by ftping to
ftp.yellowdog.com and looking for it from the 2.1 directory of rpms. In
addition, you may have to do a yup clean yupdb which cleans out the yup
database. man yup is your friend. You can also search the archives for
instructions, since right after it was released, several individuals posted
explicit instructions on doing the update.

I find that the incremental update suited my needs. 2.0 was working fine for
me and I had already upgraded kde 2.2.1 and XFree86 4.1 prior to the official
release which seem to be the main upgrades (other than a kernel 2.4.10 which
I didn't upgrade) that I was most interested in.

I am sure it is possible to do a yup update from your ydl 2.1 cd if you go
through some hoops but it is easier to do it over the 'net. I did the
update even though I order the book with the ydl 2.1 CD. I don't think the
book will be all that useful to me, but I want to help YDL stay afloat and
purchases are the only way for that to happen.

John Schmidt
jas@netbrick.com