Re: Swapping YDL hard drive

Subject: Re: Swapping YDL hard drive
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 06:54:32 MST

It could be a bit tricky. I assume that the new Cheetah drive has MacOS on
it - you need this to boot YDL via BootX. I assume also that the Cheetah
drive is the second SCSI drive and hence appears as sdb. When you do the
drive swap you will remove the current startup disk and replace it with the
Cheetah. As far as Linux is concerned that drive will become sda. You
will need to edit /etc/fstab on the Cheetah drive to use sda instead of sdb
and be careful to get the partition numbers correct. You must then specify
the new root partition in BootX.

I hope this covers everything - if all fails, you may need to reinstall so
don't do this unless you're happy to lose all your data.

  Iain

--On Friday, December 14, 2001 6:43 pm +1100 Terry Allen