Re: upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1

Subject: Re: upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1
From: John Schmidt (jas@netbrick.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 09:09:11 MST

Jim,

Yes you can update the kernel via yup. I am still running 2.2.19 with all of
the updates and haven't had a problem. I am running an old world machine, so
after downloading the kernel, I would have to copy it over to my macos
partition and point BootX to the new kernel. New world machines might have
an easier time for the kernel upgrades using yaboot, etc., although, I am not
sure what the details are.

Given that you already have a CD with all the rpms on it, you might be able
to get a list of the upgraded packages and then manually do rpm -Uvh
<new_packages>.rpm. This all depends on your internet connection. yup
upgrade with a fast connection is straightforward.

John