Re: iBook-2, xplaycd, no sound

Subject: Re: iBook-2, xplaycd, no sound
From: Romain Kang (romain@kzsu.stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 10:20:59 MST

As I understand, the iceBook doesn't have an analog connection from
the CD drive to the mixer device, so traditional CD player programs
(of which I assume xplaycd is a member) don't work.

Instead, you need a program which reads the CD through the data
interface and feeds it directly to iceBook's main audio D/A. The
usual vehicle for this is xmms plus the xmms-cdread plugin for the
input side. xmms-cdread tries to use freedb.org to retrieve CD
disc and track info, though I sometimes use xmcd to import
Gracenote.COM entries. (Fiddlesticks on their copyright -- before
they went commercial, I submitted CD entries on the assumption that
access would be free and open). The xmms-cdread plugin is on the
YDL 2.1 install CD; you can also get a newer version from rpmfind.net,
courtesy of Mandrake's PPC distribution.

On the xmms output side, the eSound output plugin is recommended.
Others seem to have endian problems (i.e., noise output) or may
not work at all.

Regards,
Romain Kang Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain@kzsu.stanford.edu except when indicated otherwise.