Help with Radeon needed - many tries, always fails to start

Subject: Help with Radeon needed - many tries, always fails to start
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 15:01:57 MST

I recently bought a 32Mb PCI Radeon card. So far, I can only get it
working with X unaccelerated at 800x600 resolution - a bit frustrating
given the potential of the card! Console mode works fine at 1024x768-60 -
which is the resolution and refresh rate I want from X.

I have tried:

- a clean copy of XFree86-4.1.0 (won't run accelerated)
- a copy patched according to the instructions on Penguinppc (won't run
accelerated)
- a copy patched according to instructions found somewhere else (ditto)
- a copy of XFree86 obtained from cvs yesterday (fails to build properly,
locks up if hacked)
- the rpms from YDL 2.1 (fails to run accelerated)

Could some kind soul please post a XF86Config-4 that works so that I can
see what modules need to be loaded? Any other help or instructions that
work gratefully received!

TIA,

  Iain