Re: X: 800x600 wanted

Subject: Re: X: 800x600 wanted
From: Jeff Elkins (kde@elkins.org)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 19:00:44 MST

# File generated by Xautoconfig4.

> a) Use a slower refresh rate than 100, or
> b) Check your monitor's documentation and set HorizSync and VertRefresh
> accordingly.

> I've had funny results with 24 bit bit depth - try using a default of 16.
> If X doesn't like the mode you've specified for any reason it will try and
> choose one of its own. Look at /var/log/Xfree86.0.log for more clues.

I appreciate the responses. I've been using Linux/X since about '93 on the
Intel platform...PPC is a new world for me. I well remember the struggles
getting an XF86Config file generated in the past. Deja Vu all over again :(

The XF86 config file was generated by autoconfig, based on values generated
by fbset. This is covered in the fbset man page. Although other refresh rates
are offered by the fb.modes database, none of them work for an 800x600
console...(run mode 3).

I've also been able to run X (at 1024x768) at any depth w/o problems. 800x600
is what I'm seeking and it remains elusive.

Anyone on this list running an iMac 14" display at the standard 800x600 rez
offered with OS 9x or OSX 10.1?

Jeff