Re: Upgrading an 8500 for YDL Install!

Subject: Re: Upgrading an 8500 for YDL Install!
From: Mark Jaffe (wizards@wizdev.net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 12:27:06 MST

>> I want to put YDL on my 8500 180mhz PPC, but its got a miniscule 1GB SCSI
>> drive.  I can only stick SCSI 1 drives in that machine which only get as
>> large as 2GB (sob).  There's a USB card and an Ethernet Card leaving one
>> PCI slot open.  What can I do to make this machine a decent box to test
>> Linux apps on so that I don¹t install stuff on my commercial Linux server
>> and crash it, pissing all of my current hosting clients off?
>> Any suggestions that won't require me having to get a second mortgage on
>> my house?

Gee, I don't know where you got that info. I have two 8500s, and they are
each running SCSI drives of 4.3 to 18 Gb!! OK, I admit I had to put in an
adaptor connector in one to switch the 50-pin cable to the 68-pin connector
on the 18Gb drive, but it still works! I think I paid $150 for the refurb
18Gb this past summer (OK, I do live in Silicon Valley.)

Mark
Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/