Re: Install fails transferring packages syslog

Subject: Re: Install fails transferring packages syslog
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 15:13:01 MST

What about installing from a HFS Standard partition? You will need to
point to that partition as the startup drive. (Yaboot, BootX, Open
Firmware, etc). I installed LinuxPPC Q4 that way and had no problems. To
do so you will have to get the non ISO install package.

If there is anybody on the list who can help with issues specific to
Adam's setup ( Old World 7300 and/or SCSI drive support) let's hear from
you. I'm out of ideas.

Although YDL 2.1 installs farily easily (for some of us) if it were not
for the Geforce2 support in YDL I wouldn't be using it. LinuxPPC was
much easier to configure (needed more configuration, though) than YDL. I
don't know if I'm ever going to get a decent video setting (YDL), for
example, whereas running text or X with PPC Q4 at 1280x1024 -24 worked
flawlessly when I had a box with an ATI card.

"... Although when I then rebooted and tried to install, the partition
that was there was not HFS but was instead ext2?) ..."
The YDL partitioner is kind of weird. I have heard it described as
"crippled". I can tell you that their idea of HFS is not MacOS's, my
bootloader disk is invisible in classic and X, but a HFS standard volume
I set up in OS9 appears on both desktops. With PPC Q4 my bootloader was
not only visible, I used it as a shared volume.