Re: Domain name?

Subject: Re: Domain name?
From: Joe (joerex@pacbell.net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 18:39:49 MST

If you're going to use *.dhs.org as your machine's name, you don't have to
pay $35 a year or whatever to keep that. To have a domain name like *.com
costs that money per year.

However, to use a *.dhs.org address rather than *.*.*.roadrunner.com or
whatever address, you must contact your ISP and tell them that you're going
to run your own name server, or you'll have to ask them to add your
*.dhs.org address as an alias on their nameserver. But because you have a
dynamic IP address, they probably won't like this because it is possible
that some other person would be dynamically assigned that address and then
they would get all the traffic and there would be no server to accept it.
They also are probably against this type of behavior because it could
potentially cut into their own web serving business.

Running a nameserver alerts all the nameserves on the internet to resolve
your IP address to your given domain/host name. You can't just add it in
the /etc/hosts directory. You've got to do a lot more than that,
unfortunately.

I'm sure some other people have some creative solutions to do what you want
to do (as far as the dynamic IP vs. static), but if you end up needing to
run your own name server I have a lot of information I can send you that I
got together when I was learning how to set one up - it's a pretty
complicated matter.

Good luck,

Joe