partitions/mount points for 2.1 install

Subject: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 08:30:37 MST

Hi all,

I'm installing YDL 2.1 on a system that had a previous
install of YDL 1.2. I'm doing the "Custom Install" because
that's what the install guide says you should do if you
have existing Linux partitions. When I got to the partitioning
section, I had:

Part. Name Filesys. Size
------------------------------------
               .
               .
               .
hda8 untitled hfs 1000 MB
hda9 root ext2 ~2000 MB
hda10 swap linux-swap 64 MB
Unused free none 2 MB

which I recognized as my old partition table. So now
the install guide tells me to make a 10 MB bootloader
partition, and I want to increase my swap space too, so
I delete partitions 9 and 10 and add the new partitions.
Then my table looks like:

hda8 untitled hfs 1000 MB
hda9 untitled hfs 10 MB
hda10 swap linux-swap 128 MB
hda11 untitled ext2 1964 MB

The "Getting Started w/ YDL" book says something like
"Note that the regular Linux partition and the swap
partition will have the filesystem 'ext2.'" That doesn't
appear to be the case for swap, but otherwise it looks
good so I forge onward and click save. I get a "Formatting...."
window and after 10 seconds or so it's done. Then when I
go to the "Mount Points" section of the install, I get
the following:

Part. Mnt. Pnt. Filesys. Size
---------------------------------------
hda8 hfs 1000 MB
hda9 / ext2 10 MB
hda10 swap linux-swap 128 MB
hda11 ext2 1964 MB

What the hell? It looks like it changed
my bootloader partition to ext2 and tried
to mount it where the Linux root partition
ought to be, and it doesn't want to mount
the Linux root partition at all.

I went back to the partitioning step and noticed that
the partition table now showed the bootloader partition
as "ext2" as well. I tried all sorts of rearranging of
partitions 9-11, but every time I got to the mount points
step it would do something screwy with the bootloader
partition, like the above, or not list it at all (when this
happened, I went back to the partitioning step and
saw that bootloader partition filesystem had reverted
to "none").

Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go