Re: Hard Drive Spindown

Subject: Re: Hard Drive Spindown
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 09:28:44 MST

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Ron Garcia wrote:

> I'm running YDL 2.1 on a Powerbook 2000, and the hard drive never
> spins down, even if I set hdparm. I assume that something running by
> default on my system causes the hard drive to be accessed often enough
> that it never spins down. Can anyone suggest how or if I can rectify
> this?

There's a system internal program "bdflush" that tries to flush the cache
to disk every (x) seconds. (or, rather, there -used- to be a bdflush, and
you could just kill it ... now it's built into the kernel, and you need
more firepower ...)

I use "noflushd" to fight it -

http://noflushd.sourceforge.net/

It's aggressive about keeping the disk spun down (by keeping attempted
disk writes in from spinning it back up ...)

Works well.

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net