Re: linux install on a mac with a scsi cdrom

Subject: Re: linux install on a mac with a scsi cdrom
From: H Brett Bolen (wingedlizard@nc.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 12:26:20 MST

>What type of system/setup do you have? On my PowerTower Pro 250 YDL
> 2.1 is running without a problem and it is totally SCSI.

I have a umax c500, which is supposed to be similar to the 6400. it is the
tanzinia mobo. It has an ide harddrive and a scsi cdrom.

When I boot using bootx with ydl2.1 it says cdrom not found. I tried both
the default install and the customized install. neither will let me
find the cdrom.

I believe there is a linux kernel module that I need to run.

when I try to install mandrake linux 8.0, it says no cdrom found, then
it promps
me for a kernel module to allow scsi access. when I pick mesh.o, it is able
to read from the cdrom.

I believe mandrake fails because I only have 80meg ram, it get's really
slow because
it has an x-based install. It looks like ydl has both x and text based
install.

much thanks to all those lending a hand
b\375