Re: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install

Subject: Re: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 12:33:38 MST

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Gordon Neault wrote:

> Well, I had no problems using the following:
> Create partitions in MacOS9 (X Drive Setup has too large minimum
> partition sizes) of:
> HFS (for use as a bootloader) first available partition
> HFS+ (for use in MacOS)
> HFS (for use as a shared drive Mac/Linux)
> Free Space
>
> In YDL installer, delete HFS Bootloader partition (so it becomes
> identified as free space)
> Create bootloader partition and select "for use as a bootloader".
> Create / /home /usr /var partitions (select "regular linux partition")
> Create swap partition ("linux swap partition")
> Save.
> Enter mountpoints for /home /usr /var (and I would have created root &
> swap if not defined)
> Save.

OK, now maybe my ignorance will start to show, but if I go
back and repartition my drive using MacOS Drive Setup, I'm
essentially wiping the whole thing and starting from ground zero,
right? And if that's what I'm doing, why should I create a
separate bootloader partition at that point as you suggest?
Why shouldn't I just do what the install guide says and make
one HFS partition for the MacOS and leave everything else
unallocated? (I have no need to keep an HFS+ partition for the
Mac.)

And, to satisfy my curiosity, if the answer *is* to just make 2
partitions from Drive Setup, such that you go into the install
partitioner with 1 big HFS partition and 1 big unallocated
partition, then how is that different from me deleting my old
Linux partitions from within the install partitioner? (Since
after I delete, the partition table reads "1 big HFS partition,
1 big free partition.")

Cheers,
Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go