Re: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install

Subject: Re: partitions/mount points for 2.1 install
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 13:34:43 MST

On Monday, December 17, 2001, at 01:33 PM, Andy Hocker wrote:
> OK, now maybe my ignorance will start to show, but if I go
> back and repartition my drive using MacOS Drive Setup, I'm
> essentially wiping the whole thing and starting from ground zero,
> right? And if that's what I'm doing, why should I create a
> separate bootloader partition at that point as you suggest?
> Why shouldn't I just do what the install guide says and make
> one HFS partition for the MacOS and leave everything else
> unallocated? (I have no need to keep an HFS+ partition for the
> Mac.)

Repartitioning will erase the drive. I read somewhere from YDL that
creating the HFS partition in MacOS is a good thing whereas using Drive
Setup to create Linux partitions (DS will do it) is a bad thing. They
recommend the necessary HFS Standard and Free Space in Drive Setup.

> And, to satisfy my curiosity, if the answer *is* to just make 2
> partitions from Drive Setup, such that you go into the install
> partitioner with 1 big HFS partition and 1 big unallocated
> partition, then how is that different from me deleting my old
> Linux partitions from within the install partitioner? (Since
> after I delete, the partition table reads "1 big HFS partition,
> 1 big free partition.")

The YDL partitioner doesn't work the way some versions of pdisk/fdisk do
(such as LinuxPPC). I'm not sure what it is doing (and it's not a good
idea to run it "just to find out") but my guess is that it actually
doesn't delete all partitions all the time, but only if it creates new
ones. I'm not sure about this, I just know that when partitions start
acting strange, it's better to reformat and start over with clean stuff,
because it seems to force YDL to actually write to the partition map.

Cheers,