Re: Domain name?

Subject: Re: Domain name?
From: Zeke Runyon (zrunyon@mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 14:01:22 MST

On Sunday, December 16, 2001, at 11:15 PM, Jim Lambert wrote:

> Check out www.no-ip.com if you've got a dynamic IP. They provide some
> simple technology that allows you to have a DNS record for you dynamic
> IP host. Pretty cool. I've been using it for about a year and I've
> had no problems with the service :-)
>
> For DNS service, I use hn.org - it's free and reliable.

What is different about www.no-ip.com, hn.org (which has reached its
maximum number of accounts...), and dhs.org? I know that they have
little apps that automatically update the ip, but I think I can make my
own perl script to do that with dhs.org (which by the way is
member/volunteer supported and has survived for a long time).

Once I have a domain like these, how do I tell my box that domain, so it
will allow me to use the FTP server, etc.?

-z
                            ##
# Zeke Runyon | zrunyon@mac.com | zekeworld.home.dhs.org
# blog: communistsquirrel.home.dhs.org
# Mac OS X 10.1.1 5M28 | OS 9.2.1 | Yellow Dog Linux 2.1
# Communist squirrels shall rule the world.