Re: Domain name?

Subject: Re: Domain name?
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 01:51:00 MST

>On Sunday, December 16, 2001, at 11:15 PM, Jim Lambert wrote:
>
>> Check out www.no-ip.com if you've got a dynamic IP. They provide some
>> simple technology that allows you to have a DNS record for you dynamic
>> IP host. Pretty cool. I've been using it for about a year and I've
>> had no problems with the service :-)
>>
>> For DNS service, I use hn.org - it's free and reliable.
>
>What is different about www.no-ip.com, hn.org (which has reached its
>maximum number of accounts...), and dhs.org? I know that they have
>little apps that automatically update the ip, but I think I can make my
>own perl script to do that with dhs.org (which by the way is
>member/volunteer supported and has survived for a long time).
>
>Once I have a domain like these, how do I tell my box that domain, so it
>will allow me to use the FTP server, etc.?
>
>-z
> ##
Hi again,
        I'll have to chime in here, with my very limited knowledge of Linux
- when I installed my YDL 2.1 on my 7600, I did an 'everything' install &
simply entered the IP number I had given the machine, which I then used
from a remote machine & it allowed login to FTP using the standard install
of ProFTP, no domain required.
        Now I have added the domain name (using the BIND DNS daemon)
through Webmin, I can log in via either IP or domain name, so I expect you
should be able to do the same. Load up Webmin if you are having trouble
administrating the machine - it's pretty cool. I submitted a 'How To',
which I see has now been added to the YDL site if you want to know how to
install it.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au