Keyboard setup

Subject: Keyboard setup
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 06:00:12 MST

Hello,

I have installed YDL 2.1 on a beige G3 for a couple of weeks now.

I am quite pleased with it.

There are still a few issues I don't seem to be able to fix. I'll put
them in separate e-mails to simplify followups.

Issue #1 : Keyboard layout.

Since I'm living in Belgium, I have an AZERTY keyboard layout. In X
(KDE) I managed to change this already, so X uses by default the azerty
layout.

The consoles however always start with a us qwerty keyboard layout.

I ran kbdconfig, that allows me to choose another layout (be2-latin1),
but if I reboot the system (which typically happens regularly as I'm
still in the newbie stage :-), the layout is us again.

During boot, there is this message that hints why the layout is back to
us again, but I have no idea what goes wrong :
rc.sysinit: Loading default keymap failed

Secondly, in this issue, the be2-latin1 keymap is nice but not exactly
my keyboard layout. I suspect it's a PC keyboard layout. Some
investigation shows that there are also mac layouts available (in
/usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/mac), but kbdconfig doesn't show them. Why is that ?

TIA,
Geert Janssens