Re: Ridiculous error messages from YD installation...

Subject: Re: Ridiculous error messages from YD installation...
From: Dave Braford (braford@hanon-mckendry.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 06:18:16 MST

More info on your specific setup-
Example questions:
Are you using fpm DIMMS of the same variety ?
Using BootX and the text-based installer ?
Did you download the CD or purchase it ?
If you DL'ed, make sure it's valid via checksum.

YDL is VERY ready for prime-time. I use the very same
box (among others) for print, file, mail and web services
without so much as a peep.

BTW-If you can, get a larger drive (< 2GB) and install everything.
You don't have to run all the services, but it may save you headaches
with dependencies later.
On Monday, December 17, 2001, at 10:33 PM, John Nelson wrote:

> Ok, I repeated the install a couple times and it finally took. All the
> packages installed (but I think the installer ignored my selection of
> "Basic" and went straight for the Development version. Now I've
> rebooted
> the machine and its hanging on fsck. Get's about 73% of the way through
> and then just keeps hitting on the disk with no progress.
>
> I really don't think Yellow Dog is ready for prime time yet. It just
> shouldn't be this difficult.
>
> -- John
>

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, John Nelson wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:52:29 -0500 (EST)
>> From: John Nelson <john@computation.com>
>> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
>> Subject: Ridiculous error messages from YD installation...
>>

>> Now I'm really getting frustrated with this thing...
>>
>> I installed 256 meg of RAM into my 8500 and managed to get past the
>> formating issues I had previous. So far so good. So now I get to the
>> "mount points" screen and use my 1 gig drive for "/". Just keep it
>> simple. Now I click on "done" ...
>>
>> and I get an error message that says something like "Error: undefined
>> type". Say what? What "type" have I not defined? I answered every
>> question the installer asked me and define my boot loader, swap and
>> main
>> partition. These partitions formatted fine. There has been no
>> opportunity for me to define a "type" anywhere in here.
>>
>> So I click on "continue" despite the warning that things might be
>> unstable and go to install packages, and the installer starts
>> installing
>> the packages... and it immediately pops up an error panel that says:
>>
>> Error occured
>> ---------------
>>
>> ... and that's all. No error message. Just the fact that an error
>> occured. Underneath the panel I see that it was trying to install a
>> package called "database". At this point I'm in an infinite loop and
>> have
>> to shut down with the power button.
>>
>> Sheeze this sucks... I can't believe that the Redhat installer (which
>> someone claimed this was based on) was this bad!
>>
>> So anyone have any ideas on how to fix this and get Yellow Dog to
>> install?
>>
>> -- John
>>

> --
>
> John T. Nelson
> President | Computation.com Inc
> mail: | john@computation.com
> company: | http://www.computation.com/
> journal of computation: | http://www.computation.org/
> "Providing quality IT consulting services since 1992"

Dave Braford
IT Manager
Hanon McKendry Advertising