Local network detection problem

Subject: Local network detection problem
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 06:18:26 MST

Hello,

I have installed YDL 2.1 on a beige G3 for a couple of weeks now.

I am quite pleased with it.

There are still a few issues I don't seem to be able to fix. I'll put
them in separate e-mails to simplify followups.

Issue #2 : Local network detection problem.

My G3 is configured as a router (or gateway ?) for my lan. The lan
consists of my G3 and 2 windows PC's connected via a 100 Mbs hub.

My G3 has 2 ethernet interfaces:
- the built-in 10Mbps BMAC (which the kernel assigns to eth1)
- an Assante 10/100 Mbps PCI card (which the kernel assigns to eth0)
   The kernel detects this card as:
   eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xcd861000, 00:00:94:C7:89:FE, IRQ 24.

During boot, a message appears that eth0 initialization was successful.
However, trying to ping one of the PC's on the lan results in a host not
found.

I read through the startup messages (messages) where this error line
appears:
eth0: Autonegotiation failed, using 10baseT, link beat status 10cc

But that of course is wrong, my lan works at 100Mbps.

If I now manually ifdown eth0; ifup eth0' the problem is resolved, and
the lan works.

So I have a work around, but I would like to understand what goes wrong
and why, so I can have a fully working system from boot, without doing
work arounds.

Anybody can help me here ?

TIA,
Geert Janssens