java plugin for mozilla

Subject: java plugin for mozilla
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 06:55:57 MST

Hello,

I have installed YDL 2.1 on a beige G3 for a couple of weeks now.

I am quite pleased with it.

There are still a few issues I don't seem to be able to fix. I'll put
them in separate e-mails to simplify followups.

Issue #3 : java plugin for mozilla.

I have downloaded and installed mozilla 0.9.6.

With that I would like to use the java plugin. I downloaded j2re rpm
(v1.3.0-01beta) from the ydl ftp server and installed it, but that
doesn't seem to work. If I try to start mozilla, it simply crashes at
startup with the following message:
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load
/usr/lib/j2re1.3/lib/ppc/libjavaplugin_oji.so: linking
error=/usr/lib/j2re1.3/lib/ppc/libjavaplugin_oji.so: undefined symbol:
XtShellStrings

I also tried to download a tar file from blackdown.org but it didn't
work either.

A mail recently to the list mentioned that blackdown isn't updated very
frequently, and that one should download the plugin from penguinppc.org.

I tried that, but I can't download it from there.

If I go the the url: http://penguinppc.org/projects/java/j2sdk_files.html
there are links to download JDK/JRE 1.3.0 PL1, which is if I understand
it correctly the version that should work on mozilla PPC.

However, if I click on a link there to download, say the rpm, I get the
message: Error 404: no such file or directory (displaying the 'Ximian girl).

Is this a similar problem as I have with yup (see my earlier message)
and a cable modem/proxy server ?

How can I solve this one ?

TIA,
Geert Janssens