fonts

Subject: fonts
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 07:27:42 MST

Hello,

I have installed YDL 2.1 on a beige G3 for a couple of weeks now.

I am quite pleased with it.

There are still a few issues I don't seem to be able to fix. I'll put
them in separate e-mails to simplify followups.

Issue #5 : fonts.

It struck me that the fonts I have installed look ugly in most sizes on
screen.

Some examples:
* I created a document in KWord. In this document I had some black
helvetica text on a green background. When I looked at this in the print
preview section, the black characters were surrounded by white speckles
(I suspect they are from anti-aliasing). This looks ugly. I don't know
for sure what it would look like on a printer, since I can't print (yet).

* Some (most ?) fonts look terribly jagged in mozilla at larger sizes.
Take for example http://www.mozilla.org/start/, then the 'Getting
Involved with mozilla' heading looks quite poor.

Is there anything I can do about this ? Do I maybe have bad fonts
installed ? Or some settings wrong ?

TIA,
Geert Janssens