Re: fonts

Subject: Re: fonts
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 12:29:10 MST

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 01:06, you wrote:
> Hrm, not so easy as it looks at first. :-(
>
> You suggested to download Areal, Verdana, Courrier and Times. Well, all
> but Verdana are only available for Win 9x/NT and MacOS, not for Win 3.11.
>
> What now ?

Try this site ;-)

http://www.joerg-pommnitz.de/TrueType/ttfonts.html#MSFONTS

> Also, I use gdm. After some investigation, I found a config file for gdm
> that had a similar line as the Xservers file, and added the dpi 96 stuff
> there. That seems to work.
>
> I looked at the fontpath you gave me, but it doesn't contain the
> directory in which I installed de new fonts (the one you suggested). Is
> that intentionally, or by accident ?

The important line in FontPath is :
        FontPath "unix/:7100"

The other FontPath lines are only essential if your X server complains about
certain fonts not being found, e.g. 'fixed'. You don't need the TrueType path
as a FontPath entry.

BTW, There was an error in my original post. The location of the XF86Config-4
is not /etc but /etc/X11

> I'm not sure about startx. How do I know if I use it ?

If you have a graphical login at bootup, then you don't use xdm, kdm or gdm.
In that case, you don't need to update startx (it doesn't hurt to do so
though)

> So much questions...

:P

> Thank you for all the replies.