Re: Installing without Mac OS - was Re: Newbie Alert!

Subject: Re: Installing without Mac OS - was Re: Newbie Alert!
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 13:58:05 MST

At 9:50 AM -0500 12/18/01, ghannon@cspi.com wrote:

>You can use the Mac-OS install CD to format the disk as one large
>partition. It will initialize the partion, and then install Mac OS. When
>you do the Yellow Dog Install, in the "partition the Disk" stage, just
>delete the last partition, which contained Mac OS as the first step.
>Leave everything up to and including the Apple Patches partition.
>From there on in the directions should cover it.

FYI, you only need to keep the first partition (the partition map).
The various patch and driver partitions are only used by MacOS --
nothing else cares about them, not even Open Firmware. (Or MacOS X,
whose disk formatter gives you the option of not creating them if you
don't need to mount that disk in MacOS 7/8/9.) I've set up
Linux-only Macs without them and everything worked fine.

--
Tim Seufert