Re: Installing without Mac OS - was Re: Newbie Alert!

Subject: Re: Installing without Mac OS - was Re: Newbie Alert!
From: Kurt Feltenberger (kurt@blazenet.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 16:13:33 MST

At 12:58 PM 12/18/01 -0800, you wrote:

>At 9:50 AM -0500 12/18/01, ghannon@cspi.com wrote:
>
>>You can use the Mac-OS install CD to format the disk as one large
>>partition. It will initialize the partion, and then install Mac OS. When
>>you do the Yellow Dog Install, in the "partition the Disk" stage, just
>>delete the last partition, which contained Mac OS as the first step.
>>Leave everything up to and including the Apple Patches partition.
> From there on in the directions should cover it.
>
>FYI, you only need to keep the first partition (the partition map). The
>various patch and driver partitions are only used by MacOS -- nothing else
>cares about them, not even Open Firmware. (Or MacOS X, whose disk
>formatter gives you the option of not creating them if you don't need to
>mount that disk in MacOS 7/8/9.) I've set up Linux-only Macs without them
>and everything worked fine.

Which partition is the first partition? Is it the first one listed? I
know, strange question, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right.

Thanks!

Kurt Feltenberger
kurt@blazenet.net
Morrow Project Campaign http://www.sol-3.net
WT-L Support Pages http://www.sol-3.net/wt-l
TEOTWAWKI Fiction and PBEM http://www.teotwawki.net

"To our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations,
      may she always be in the right, but our country, right or wrong!"
~Stephen Decatur