Apache as a proxy server

Subject: Apache as a proxy server
From: Brian Mayton (bmayton@mac.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 17:07:09 MST

I'm running both a FileMaker Web Companion server on an older mac and a
regular Apache web server on a different Mac. Since I'm behind a NAT
router, the Apache server is on port 80, while the FileMaker server is on
another port (something in the 500s, I can't remember exactly what it is.)

This is annoying because the port number has to be included after the domain
name to access the file server. Domain names can't be assigned to specific
ports. I was wondering, though if I could get
http://www.mydomain.com/filemaker/ to point to http://www.mydomain.com:500/
(or whatever the filemaker web port is.)

Could Apache be configured to grab the pages from the filemaker server and
then send them to the requesting client? If not, is there any way that I
can do this? I've seen reference to some sort of proxying in the Apache
documentation but I can't find it offhand.

Thanks in advance for any help.