Re: upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1

Subject: Re: upgrading from 2.0 to 2.1
From: Jim Lambert (jlx@lamberts.org)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 19:37:42 MST

I tried this 'yup' method and had a lot of problems with yup. It just
kept dying with various errors. I finally gave up and tried a second
method of upgrading that John suggested:

       * Download all the 2.1 rpms from YDL
       * 'rpm -Uh *.rpm' to upgrade all the pkgs

This method worked like a charm for me. I did have to fiddle around
a bit (because of rpm dependency issues), but all and all it was pretty
painless.

I only have one remaining problem to iron out: I can't
mount my cd-rom. The only other real hitch was getting the airport
card working again. The YDL How-to is missing one important cmd:
"/sbin/ifup eth1". Also, the how-to doesn't mention that the airport
network interface has to be named eth1 (in 2.0 you could pick whatever
name you wanted).

Is the method for upgrading I just described for newbies? I'm not
sure. I'm no expert, but I'm not a newbie either - somewhere in
between I guess.

Good luck,

-Jim

--
<jlx@lambZrts.org> (Replace Z's with E's to reply)

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. -Anonymous