Re: fonts

Subject: Re: fonts
From: John M. Wright (jmw@chem.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 00:15:04 MST

.ttf files may be .ttf files, but the downloadable files from
the microshaft.com web page are not .ttf files; they are self-extracting,
self-installing files that run under windowsXX[YY] The [font]32.exe
versions available for Win9X, NT, Win2000 cannot be extracted by
unzip, gunzip, or bunzip2. After some sloshing around on Google,
I found the following web page:

http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php3

which provided the source and (easy) instructions for compiling and
installing cabextract, which _can_ extract the .ttf files from the
[font]32.exe files downloaded from the microshaft web page. (It even
has an option to lowercase the .tif filenames.)

I followed the recipe provided by Avinash Gupta, and everything
seemed to work as advertised. The disparity in directories is
probably just a matter of some softlinks...

I have not yet decided if I like the result, but that is another
story....

John Wright