startx vs kdm with regards to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Subject: startx vs kdm with regards to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
From: John Schmidt (jas@netbrick.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 10:42:26 MST

Hi,

I am wondering about how XF86Config-4 fits into the picture of the graphical
logins such as kdm, xdm, etc. I currently have a working XF86Config-4 file
that allows me into kde using startx. However, when I try and use inittab
level 5 and use kdm, I get some black screen that attempts to start up kdm,
and fails, and continues to cycle back and forth between the black screen and
the early start up of X. The only way out it so reboot the machine. I was
under the impression that if I had a working XF86Config-4 file, that a
graphical login would work. I assume that one of the Xautoconfig (or
whatever is being used with XFree86 4.1) is trying to find the right specs
for my hardware so it can generate a new XF86Config-4 file, but is failing?
At one time, kdm did work, but that was back with kde 2.1 and the version of
XFree86 prior to 4.1. Since upgrading to kde 2.2.1 and XFree86 4.1, kdm
would fire up, but the mouse was not working. startx would get the mouse
working and allow me into kde. Since upgrading to kde 2.2.2, kdm no longer
works. Searching through the XFree86 logs didn't reveal much insight.

Just wondering if a working XF86Config-4 can work with kdm (or xdm for that
matter)?

Thanks,

John Schmidt
jas@netbrick.com