Re: HELP!!! Can't boot!

Subject: Re: HELP!!! Can't boot!
From: Jeff Galyan (talisman@anamorphic.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 16:40:55 MST

Okay, this is just plain weird. Finally got CMD-OPT-O-F to drop me into OF,
firmware sees the third HD as "ultra0" (don't know why).

Used Mac OS 9.2 Drive Setup to repartition/initialize the disk -- fine.
Boot from YDL CD, start install -- fine. Repartition disk with Parted, per
YDL instructions (same as before) -- fine. Install goes smoothly, no errors
or other messages, not even from ybin. Reboot -- no boot menu. Boot
cd-linux with my root partition specified -- fine. ofpath *still* refuses
to recognize the drive it's running from! Firmware sees the drive, Mac OS
drive utils can see the drive, why can't yaboot/ybin/ofpath see the drive?

I'm still stuck with only being able to boot from the CD, Mac OS still tries
to mount the disk (which isn't supposed to be visible to Mac OS?) and gives
the message: "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X
can read...." with buttons to initialize the disk or continue without
initializing. Even if I try to boot directly from OF, I can only boot Mac
OS.

This is a 2001 AGP G4 (Graphite - the model immediately prior to the silver
ones), which YDL 2.1 supposedly "officially" supports.

I've tried booting the 2.2 kernel, but it dies with a panic about "unknown
values in srr1".

--Jeff