iBook1 sound in YDL 2.1

Subject: iBook1 sound in YDL 2.1
From: Andy Hocker (hocker@fnal.gov)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 21:17:36 MST

I may as well admit that the whole reason I upgraded to
2.1 was because YDL states right there on its website that
sound is finally supported on the iBook1. So I was a bit
disappointed after I installed and my iBook was pretty much
as silent as it ever was. I *have* been able to coax a
system beep out of GNOME (testing the system beep in
KDE yielded nothing) but I can't play CDs or any of the
test .wav files I found in the GNOME center.

I checked the obvious things -- volume was cranked in MacOS
and /proc/modules shows dmasound_pmac is present and accounted
for. Is this some mixer thing? I cranked various sliders
in various mixers (what is with all these different mixers,
anyway? Are they just different GUIs on top of the same
thing?) but never heard anything.

Please help my iBook to rock.

Cheers,
Andy

Andy Hocker office: CDF trailer 168-O
University of Rochester phone: (630)-840-8622
Fermilab/CDF - M.S. 318 fax: (630)-840-2968
PO Box 500 e: hocker@fnal.gov
Batavia, IL 60510 hey ho: let's go