Re: Can I use Barracuda LWs in my Mac 8500?

Subject: Re: Can I use Barracuda LWs in my Mac 8500?
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 01:42:50 MST

>This simple question started a big argument. Can I put an 18 gig
>Barracuda Ultrawide (LW) in my Mac 8500? One guy says "no"... I have to
>use the NL version which is the original 8 byte narrow disk (yech). I
>say yes because the 50 pin drives will fit into the 80 pin Ultrawide
>with the unused pins... well unused.
>
>These 18 gig Barracuda's are going for $160 which is a good price, but
>I'm not buying until I know for sure that they are compatible.
>
>-- John

Hi John,
        Only 6 weeks ago, I put a 10,000rpm Seagate Cheetah 18GB Ultra 160
SCSI drive into my 7600, which has a 50 pin interface. The Cheetah Drive
has a 68 pin connector & I simply installed a 68-50 pin adapter & it was
picked up straight off by Mac OS 9.1's drive setup, which formatted it
without a hitch I don't see why you can't use that drive. I'm pretty sure
that others have.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au