linux on c500 mac clone ( actually apus 2000)

Subject: linux on c500 mac clone ( actually apus 2000)
From: H Brett Bolen (brettb@nc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 07:39:59 MST

Phil,

I found something. If you boot in 800x600 mode, there is
a drain in cpu cycles. top reports that there is no idle time
even if nothing else is running ( text mode -- no x). Top
also reports that no process is taking more than 2 % of the
cpu.

uptime reports that the cpu load is 5.00 ( full cpu utilization
is 1.00).

When I boot into 640x480 mode ( again text mode -- no x), top
reports that the cpu is idle, and uptime reports 0.0.

I did notice something funny with the httpd daemon -- it looks like
it is kicking off 20 processes per second. Perhaps this has to do
with not having an eth0 interface. I just killed it before taking
the above measurements ( `service httpd stop`).

I've used both the 2.2 kernal and the 2.4 kernel, installed
by default.

other notes:

    no network yet. the network card drivers either fail to load
    or hang the machine. This is probably because I'm picking the
    wrong driver, or I need to use some kernel module parameters.

    I don't have cdrom access. There is no iso9660 driver, so linux
    can't read from the cdrom.

    also there is no hfs driver. I cannot read the mac drives either.

    This makes it impossible to get any info in/out of the box.

I've download the latest linux kernel ( 2.4.16, not the 2.5 stuff),
but I can't get it on the box to install a new kernel. Once I get
it on the box, then I need to compile ( should be easy), and then
get it back off the box so that bootx can boot with it. One thought
if somebody were to compild a kernel with iso9660 cd support ( compiled
in -- not as a module), I could test it with bootx ( I wouldn't need
to load it into my linux -- only bootx ( a map app) would need access
to it). My mac 8.5 os does have access for iso9660 cds...

additional notes:

    I have no X yet.

Hopefully I can clean all of this up once I get cd access on my
linux box ( fix network, fix x, fix hfs access,....)

b\375

PS. I've copied some lists, maybe they have input.

--
-- H Brett Bolen