Re: Can I use Barracuda LWs in my Mac 8500?

Subject: Re: Can I use Barracuda LWs in my Mac 8500?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 15:54:37 MST

At 12:47 PM -0500 12/20/01, John Nelson wrote:
>Thanks everyone for your responses. I ended up buying the narrow (and
>unfortunately more expensive) Barracuda. That's ok... good to know that
>the drives are "upwardly usable" if not pin compatible.

Not necessarily, though. I have heard that recent versions of the
SCSI standards are starting to reduce the requirements for devices to
be backwards compatabile with really old stuff. We may start to see
drives which don't operate in narrow mode, or slower than Fast (10
MHz), so on and so forth. I've not heard of any drive models like
that yet, but it's something to be aware of.

--
Tim Seufert