Re: Processor upgrade card.

Subject: Re: Processor upgrade card.
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 20:45:52 MST

The LinuxPPC user list is alive and well (I subscribe). If anyone's
interested info is at the bottom of this eMail.

LinuxPPC Q4 for me didn't install as well as YDL, and there were a lot
of configuration issues to deal with. I would go as far as describing it
as a little less polished than YDL 2.1; having said that it did seem to
work eventually. I remember having to d/l the YDL 1.2 install manual to
get Q4 up and running (LinuxPPC's docs leave a little to be desired).
The LinuxPPC people are, for the most part, pretty advanced Linux users
and most have compiled to 2.4.10/17 or so despite what linuxppc.org has
or hasn't released. Today's threads are about:
Using the iPod in Linux;
Getting HFS+ running (related to the iPod thread)
Getting a Belkin UPS to shutdown cleanly in Linux
And some threads about YDL and other PPC distros, because some of us
have switched.

I did find that "newbie" type questions often went unaswered on the
LinuxPPC list. In particular, the subject "install" often mean
"ignored". Make no mistake, however, these guys are dedicated to having
Linux on the Mac and I don't see the failure of LinuxPPC stopping them.

  As for me, I have to use YDL (no choice right now; without video
support you can't even see the install screen). (GeForce 2 card in the
new box).

On Thursday, December 20, 2001, at 08:47 PM, Alex Hanzlik-Green wrote:

>> At 6:55 PM -0500 12/20/01, John Nelson wrote:
>>> Is there a reason NOT to use LinuxPPC as opposed to Yellow Dog?
>>
>> Perhaps the fact that LinuxPPC is an aging distribution which appears
>> to be dead? (*) If LinuxPPC works for you, it works for you, but
>> most people would probably be better served by Yellow Dog, especially
>> those using newer hardware.

*** I'm on the linuxppc-user list; there are 10 or so subjects
available. You can search and subscribe to any of them at:
http://lists.linuxppc.org/