RE: Put home directories on second hard drive?

Subject: RE: Put home directories on second hard drive?
From: Steve McGrane (mcsteve@globaltap.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 21:19:50 MST

> I'm assuming a second SCSI hard drive would be /dev/sdb, right?

it should be sdb, do a "dmesg | more" and you'll see the info on your scsi
drive, if its not easy to recognize which is which from that output (and it
may not be) email it to me or the list and we'll let you know.

> This is where I get confused...

>> If Fourth worked out, add it to /etc/fstab and figure out what to do
>> with
>> what was /home.

> how?

All of your partitions are really just mountpoints on a single filesystem...
so /boot is really a partition... as well as a subfolder of / as defined by
its line in /etc/fstab. You'll have plenty of example lines to compare to,
just because its on a different physical drive doesn't mean it can't be
mounted in line with the current "filesystem"

> So I wouldn't have to edit user's home directory locations to
> /dev/sdb/home/user? I would mount the drive directly to /home?

No, after you updated /etc/fstab to tell the OS that what is under /home is
something different, the rest will all follow your lead. Try it and see.
If you edited /etc/fstab and renamed the existing /home to /office, your
users would lose there home dirs... its linked to the name, and as long as
the name stays the same, its all good.

- Steve
http://www.globaltap.com