Re: MacOS X installing on 9.1+YDL 2.1.

Subject: Re: MacOS X installing on 9.1+YDL 2.1.
From: Gordon Neault (gordo-x@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 08:11:27 MST

Startup Options:
Boot with a CD in the drive and hold down the "C" key until a happy mac
or yaboot prompt appears.
If you have trouble opening the CD drive, hold the mouse button down
during boot. This may not allow a boot from the CD (an installed OS may
launch first), but the drive door will open (tray-load Mac); the desired
boot CD can be inserted, and a reboot should allow a boot to progress
(using appropriate key combo on startup).
Startup with the "Option" key pressed to boot into graphical Open
Firmware; a list of bootable OS's will eventually show up, including any
bootable CDs.
Startup with "Command, Option, O and F" keys pressed simultaneously to
boot into command line Open Firmware.
Startup into a Mac OS, open the mounted CD (MacOS update) and select the
"install" option, and go through whatever dialogs appear. The Mac
should eventually reboot into the installer.
Some notes:
MacOSX must be able to install on the 8th or earlier virtual partition.
In other words, if MacOS 9 is installed on (for example) partition hda9,
the install will fail (assuming you intend to install OS9 and X on the
same partition).
I recommend a separate partition for OSX and OS9; in this case make OSX
earlier on the partition map than OS9. Again, OSX must be able to find a
virtual partition of address hda8 or earlier with an appropriate format.
For use with OS9, do not partition Mac OSX drives in OSX server format;
use HFS/HFS+
If the OSX installer refuses to boot, insert your bootable OS9 CD. Boot
into Mac OS9, select the OS9 CD via "startup disk". Close the startup
disk control panel, eject the CD, and replace it with the OSX install CD.
Be sure you have an OSX full install CD, not the 10.1 update (which will
not do a full install).