Re: Local network detection problem

Subject: Re: Local network detection problem
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 13:51:37 MST

nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Geert Janssens wrote:
>

>>My G3 is configured as a router (or gateway ?) for my lan. The lan
>>consists of my G3 and 2 windows PC's connected via a 100 Mbs hub.
>>
>>My G3 has 2 ethernet interfaces:
>>- the built-in 10Mbps BMAC (which the kernel assigns to eth1)
>>- an Assante 10/100 Mbps PCI card (which the kernel assigns to eth0)
>> The kernel detects this card as:
>> eth0: Lite-On PNIC-II rev 37 at 0xcd861000, 00:00:94:C7:89:FE, IRQ 24.
>>
>>During boot, a message appears that eth0 initialization was successful.
>>However, trying to ping one of the PC's on the lan results in a host not
>>found.
>>
>>I read through the startup messages (messages) where this error line
>>appears:
>>eth0: Autonegotiation failed, using 10baseT, link beat status 10cc
>>
>>But that of course is wrong, my lan works at 100Mbps.
>>
>>If I now manually ifdown eth0; ifup eth0' the problem is resolved, and
>>the lan works.
>>
>>So I have a work around, but I would like to understand what goes wrong
>>and why, so I can have a fully working system from boot, without doing
>>work arounds.
>>

> There might be several issue going on here:
>
> - Evidently the interface can't autodetect the media type. You can force
> the card to use one media type over the other by adding it's flag into
> /etc/conf.modules. I don't remember the options off the top of my head
> and they are different for each driver. Find the docs for the Asante
> Driver and see if it offers this option. You may be able to fix this by
> simply using a different cable, as a bad / cheap cable can cause
> auto-negotaition issues. (Assuming that you hub is 10/100 and not just
> 100 only :) I have several very old Asante MicroPrint Appletalk ->
> Localtalk print servers that refuse to auto-negoatiate with my new
> switches. It takes them a few power-cycles to finally do it, so
> auto-negoatiantion doesn't always work.

Hello,

Where can I find information fot the Assante driver ? I checked the
modules, but there is no assante driver there. So either it is compiled
in the kernel, or the kernel uses another driver (also built-in, because
/etc/conf.modules doesn't show any network driver).

My kernel is 2.4.17-benh0-pre1. I have never done any kernel
compilations before. Should I try that now to get this fixed ?

One thing I do wonder about: when I boot in MacOS, the network does come
up correctly. And also an ifdown eth0; ifup eth0 fixes the
autonegotiation issue. It is only at boot time that it doesn't work.

How can this be ? What is so particularly different at boot time ?

> - I assume that you want your linux box to be a IP MASQ box. Read up on
> either the ipmasq / ipchans code or the iptables code. Both will do
> what you want, iptable sis newer and for the 2.4 and later kernel
> series, while ipchains is availible for both 2.2.x and 2.4.x
> http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/ should help you with
> iptables. Use google for any ipchains questions you may have, there are
> *tons* of HOWTO's and articles out there.
> (http://netfilter.samba.org/ipchains/HOWTO.html is one)
>
> -n

I have downloaded a firewall script that configures iptables (gshield).
It seems to work quite well, except for this one thing:
When the script runs (to configure iptables), I get the following error
messages:
iptables v1.2.2: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does
not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name

What is this mangle table that is not found ?
Is this a problematic error message ?

Thank you,

Geert Janssens