Re: RS6000 and YDL2.0 or 2.1

Subject: Re: RS6000 and YDL2.0 or 2.1
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 15:20:35 MST

At 5:21 PM -0600 12/21/01, Nathan A. McQuillen wrote:
>Hmm... I have a bit of vested interest in this as well. I haven't yet
>given up on my dumpster RS/6000 but I also haven't really tried to get it
>running yet. However...
>
>When you say that YDL 2.x do not support RS/6000 machines, what exactly
>does that mean? I'm sure most of the upgraded packages will still run,
>won't they? Is it a bootloader issue, a kernel issue, or what?

I really don't know -- I just know that the answer given by TerraSoft
folks before on this mailing list was roughly 'it doesn't work any
more because we can't maintain it without money from IBM'.

If you can work around installation hurdles, I'm sure most packages
will work. You would probably need to compile a custom kernel, at
the very very least -- I doubt there are any suitable for RS/6000 on
the YDL 2.0 or 2.1 CDs.

--
Tim Seufert