Re: RS6000 and YDL2.0 or 2.1

Subject: Re: RS6000 and YDL2.0 or 2.1
From: Nathan A. McQuillen (nm@steaky.dhs.org)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 17:17:23 MST

For the record, for those of us whose understanding is still somewhat
limited, could anyone give a very rough sketch of which system functions
and executables are particularly kernel-sensitive, and which aren't, and
how this is or isn't reflected in the ability to run precompiled binaries
versus compiling and installing from source? I haven't seen this addressed
directly in any HOWTOs or books I'm aware of (probably because it's yet
another Very Bad Idea...)

I know I was running for some time with a much older kernel with YDL 2.0
packages installed and didn't really have any (well, many) errors, but I
didn't use XF86 until I also did a kernel upgrade. The relationship
between kernel, modules and libraries is still in the realm of black art
for me .

(BTW, I understand that this is an issue that could itself probably eat up
2 semesters of ECE classes... I don't hope for everything to become clear,
just maybe to get a little better sense of which versions of what need to
"match" for a system to run properly.)

Thanks,

Nathan