Re: RS6000 and YDL2.0 or 2.1

Subject: Re: RS6000 and YDL2.0 or 2.1
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 23:13:48 MST

On Friday 21 December 2001 03:20, you wrote:
> At 5:21 PM -0600 12/21/01, Nathan A. McQuillen wrote:
> >Hmm... I have a bit of vested interest in this as well. I haven't yet
> >given up on my dumpster RS/6000 but I also haven't really tried to get it
> >running yet. However...
> >
> >When you say that YDL 2.x do not support RS/6000 machines, what exactly
> >does that mean? I'm sure most of the upgraded packages will still run,
> >won't they? Is it a bootloader issue, a kernel issue, or what?
>
> I really don't know -- I just know that the answer given by TerraSoft
> folks before on this mailing list was roughly 'it doesn't work any
> more because we can't maintain it without money from IBM'.
>
> If you can work around installation hurdles, I'm sure most packages
> will work. You would probably need to compile a custom kernel, at
> the very very least -- I doubt there are any suitable for RS/6000 on
> the YDL 2.0 or 2.1 CDs.

Basically, we don't test kernels on RS/6000 machines (no access to these
machines any more) and the installer was not designed with non-Macs
in mind, really. That said, it wouldn't take TONS of work to make
the installer do the right thing for those machines provided a working
kernel.

--
Dan Burcaw
Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.