Re: Local network detection problem

Subject: Re: Local network detection problem
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 03:13:29 MST

Iain Stevenson wrote:

> --On Friday, December 21, 2001 9:51 PM +0100 Geert Janssens
> <geert.janssens3@pandora.be> wrote:
>

>> Where can I find information fot the Assante driver ? I checked the
>> modules, but there is no assante driver there. So either it is compiled
>> in the kernel, or the kernel uses another driver (also built-in, because
>> /etc/conf.modules doesn't show any network driver).
>>

> If it's a LocalTalk to ethernet bridge there is no driver AFAIK. I have
> an old bridge device and it just works.

No, it is a genuine ethernet card installed in a PCI slot .

>> I have downloaded a firewall script that configures iptables (gshield).
>> It seems to work quite well, except for this one thing: When the script
>> runs (to configure iptables), I get the following error messages:
>> iptables v1.2.2: can't initialize iptables table `mangle': Table does not
>> exist (do you need to insmod?) Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to
>> be upgraded.
>

> Packet mangling is an IP tables option that you need to set in the
> kernel - a rebuild will be necessary.

Ok, I'll read some HowTo's on compiling a kernel.

Any things I should pay special attention to ? I remember I once tried
to compile a kernel, but it didn't boot. Guess I got lost in all the
possible configuration options.

Thanks,

Geert Janssens