Re: Local network detection problem

Subject: Re: Local network detection problem
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 03:17:46 MST

nathan r. hruby wrote:
> (snip)

> simply using a different cable, as a bad / cheap cable can cause
> auto-negotaition issues. (Assuming that you hub is 10/100 and not just
> 100 only :)

Well, my hubs box explicitly only speaks of 100. Nowhere the 10 is
mentioned. Maybe that's a commercial trick ?

It brings me to another question though, if I would want to set up a
network with mixed speeds (an old machine having only a 10 mbps
ethernet, while the newer machines have 100 mbps) is that possible ?

What kind of device would be necessary for that ? Are there hubs that do
this speed transformation ?

Geert