Re: Local network detection problem

Subject: Re: Local network detection problem
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 05:31:22 MST

--On Saturday, December 22, 2001 11:13:29 +0100 Geert Janssens
<geert.janssens3@pandora.be> wrote:

> Ok, I'll read some HowTo's on compiling a kernel.
>

> Any things I should pay special attention to ? I remember I once tried to
> compile a kernel, but it didn't boot. Guess I got lost in all the
> possible configuration options.

If you start from the source of the kernel you're running at the moment it
shouldn't be too much of a problem. So, if you're running a TDL kernel,
look for the corresponding SRPM on the CDROM. It will have most options
set and all you need to do is set packet mangling

I prefer to use the menu based kernel configuration tool. So, change to
the directory in which the kernel source ins installed (this does not have
to be /usr/src/linux but it may be) then type "make menuconfig". You will
find the Packet Mangling option under these menus:

- Networking Options
  - IP:Netfilter Congiguration

Select it either as a module or compiled in according to how the other
filter options are selected. Then exit the kernel config utility, saving
your changes. To build the kernel, do this:

make dep; make

This should create the file "vmlinux" - which is your new kernel. Then
build and install the modules with:

make modules; make modules_install

You need to copy the kernel and System.map to /boot but be sure to save the
old kernel files before you do this!

cp /boot/vmlinux /boot/vmlinux.old
cp /boot/System.map /boot/System.map.old

Then you can go back to the old version if you hit problems. Now copy your
new kernel:

cp vmlinux /boot/
cp System.map /boot/

and confirm overwriting if necessary.

I can't remember whether you have an "Old world" machine or not - my Linux
systems are, so there is an additional step where the kernel has to be
copied to the boot drive for BootX. Look through past postings on the list
from Paul Lucas - he gave comprehensive kernel building and installation
instructions for new machines a while back.

Hope this helps.

  Iain