Re: Put home directories on second hard drive?

Subject: Re: Put home directories on second hard drive?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 11:52:56 MST

At 11:25 AM -0500 12/22/01, Zeke Runyon wrote:
>Thanks for all the replies and help. I now know how to add the 2nd drive
>software-wise, but I'm having problems with the hardware now.
>
>The SCSI 'chain' (?) is like this: ribbon cable from the motherboard to
>the CD-ROM drive, then to the existing drive, then there is a connecter
>at the end of the chain and a power cable. I connect the new drive at the
>end of the chain. I boot up. The happy mac icon shows up, then the screen
>goes grey with a cursor, like it is trying to find the startup disk. It
>sits and sits and sits.
>
>I hit the interrupt switch, unplug the power, and disconnect the new drive.
>It boots fine. I power down, disconnect this drive and plug in the 2nd
>drive which has no system software, it is just a blank HFS formatted drive,
>so insert the OS 9 install CD and it boots fine and the drive mounts.
>
>I try switching the locations of the two drives on the chain, same grey
>screen.

The two cardinal rules of SCSI: Only the very last device on the
chain should have termination enabled, and every device on the chain
must have a unique ID number. You're almost certainly violating one
or both of these rules. Sometimes you can get away with improper
termination, but an ID conflict will lock the system up as you
described every time.

--
Tim Seufert