Re: Java plugin for mozilla 0.9.7

Subject: Re: Java plugin for mozilla 0.9.7
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 14:34:26 MST

I downloaded the jdk 1.3 RPMs from:

http://cable.linuxppc.org:8080/software/index/linuxppc_stable/software/Development/Languages/jdk-1.3.0-FCSa.ppc.html

I ALSO have the IBM JRE installed on my machine. You can get it from:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/yellowdog/1.0/extras/yellowdog-2.1/ppc/IBMJava2-JRE-1.3.0-3.ppc.html

I don't know if you really need to install the IBM jre, but since it is
installed on my machine and Java support works in Mozilla 0.9.7, I am adding
it as a step here.

I also made sure the 'java' executable was in my PATH. Just to be sure, I
added it both to /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc

e.g.

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/jdk13/bin:/usr/lib/jre/jre/bin"
export PATH

To make sure the java executable is found, after adding it to your profile
and bashrc, open a Konsole or Terminal window in KDE and type:

        which java

You should get:

        /usr/local/jdk13/bin/java

If not ... then your path is still incorrect.

Having installed the rpm, I got the Mozilla 0.9.7 distribution from:

http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm/yellowdog.php3#mozilla-0-9-7

I unzipped the mozilla distribution in my home directory, and Java support
worked right away without having to do anything special.

That's how I did it ... dunno whether it will work for others ;-) Please let
people know if this procedure works for you.

Thanks!

-- Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)